Friday, April 21, 2006

Hobby Day


Today was Hobby Day at my son's elementary school. Parents, teachers and older students volunteer to teach the kids (second through fifth grade) various hobbies in the hope that they will turn off their TV's for a week and do different activities instead.
I've taught knitting at Hobby Day for the past 2 years. I've found it quite a challenge to teach young girls (and one boy last year--my son!) in a one-hour period. So this year I tried teaching Spool Knitting instead. I've made some fun projects, such as necklaces, keychains, hair scrunchies, etc. with the spools and variegated yarn. My mom, a knitter extraordinaire, told me that she first learned to knit with a spool.
Today was quite a success! I had seven girls in my first hour and two in the second. The first session was a bit hectic, as I went from girl to girl getting them started and helping them along, but they all seemed to get it and like it. In the second session, with just two girls, they learned quickly and I actually got the chance to sit down and knit with them. It was lovely.
I'd love to pursue the whole area of teaching, but I know it is a challenge. Perhaps something for my next career.

No comments: