Friday, August 18, 2006

Focus


You will note, if you look at my works in progress section to the right, that I am down to two WIP's and have completed everything else I've been working on. The latest finished object is my Caprice Ribbon Shrug. It came out great and I'm looking forward to wearing it to a family function next weekend.


Although I've been on a kick where I've had a "main" project, a sock, a scarf and my Einstein Coat on the needles simultaneously, I've decided that it is a bit more satisfying to work on one project (or two) at a time. I really want to finish the Einstein Coat in time for fall, and I'm now working on it furiously each day. I've got about 70 rows to go and then it's just the minimal finishing. It's been interesting to me to see how much more progress I make when I focus on ONE project. Of course it makes sense, and I think I can also apply this strategy to work, where I often start one project, then jump to read some emails, then start another project, and then finally get around to finishing Project #1 hours later. Perhaps if I apply my new knitting philosophy I'll be more productive at work too!

I do have my Maple Leaf Socks going at the same time,


as the Einstein Coat is now at a point where I can't take it out of the house--it's too bulky and unwieldy--so the socks are my portable project. I think I will keep either socks, a scarf, or a little purse on the needles while I'm making my "main" project, as it is nice to have something to take on the road.

1 comment:

Charity said...

I agree, it's nice to be able to focus on one main project, but there are times when you need something else waiting in the wings. I can't wait to see your ribbon shrug, it sounds great! And I'm looking forward to the Einstien coat - I've heard a lot about this pattern :0)