Monday, March 17, 2008

WIP Fever

Suddenly, I am awash in WIP's.
I am now on my third attempt at the Woodsy Ribs Vest. I had done a gauge swatch and gotten 5.5 stitches/inch, then after knitting about 3 inches on the project (remember, this is for my 6-foot husband and is being knit in DK weight yarn--130+ stitches!), it just didn't look wide enough. So, I ripped it out and started again, this time using a gauge of 6 stitches/inch as my guide and 148 stitches. After I had knit 10 inches, I measured the vest against the sweater hubby had said fit perfectly--and the vest was a good two inches wider (meaning it would be 4 inches wider all around). I now had a very good sample to measure gauge...and it was 5.5 stitches/inch! I should have stuck with my first instincts. So I ripped again, and am now back on track with about 3 inches done. I wouldn't have finished it before the end of winter weather anyway, so I figure I have until next fall to finish!
Since the pressure is off on the vest--and it is a bit tedious to knit--I have a few other things going on the needles. My cousin is having a baby this summer and I was dying to use up my Rowan All Seasons Cotton. I had thought about Knitty's Trellis, but it's just too complicated for a project that I'm going to be knitting off and on, even though everyone on Ravelry who has made it seems to love it. So, I searched and searched and came up with Knitty's ChildHood--it is an ADORABLE hooded sweater, and is just right for the All Seasons Cotton. I did have to order a contrasting color for the striping. My stash Cotton is charcoal grey, and since I don't know the gender of the baby, my daughter helped me choose a delicious pistachio green for the contrast.
I still think it might be a bit masculine, so if it's a girl I might embroider a little pink or green heart on the front. I do a bit each night and it is coming out just darling so far. I should have plenty of time to make it, but...
I just got my International Scarf Exchange 6 pal, and am about to cast on for her! I have a pattern in mind--Knitty's Argosy--but am deciding between two yarns. I'm going to swatch tonight and then cast on, as I have a May deadline for that. The good news is that many of the Ravelers who have made this scarf comment that it knits up quickly.
Other than the vest, I notice a pattern here...I've mentioned three Knitty patterns! I do find their patterns consistently well written, and I think partially because they're free, many of them seem to have huge followings on Ravelry, so there's a great cross-section of projects to look at.
I'll be keeping busy, triaging all of these projects...my Saucy Socks are on the back burner, but still a favorite!

No comments: