Friday, January 16, 2009

A Fabulous FO!



I finished my Tai Chi Cardigan! This sweater features mitred squares, stockinette squares and seed stitch squares, is knit in strips and then put together with 3-needle bind off. I fell in love with it at Stitches East in November and purchased the kit from Great Yarns! booth.

I absolutely adore how this sweater turned out! I made it a bit longer than the stated measurements and narrowed and shortened the sleeves to fit my short arms. It required some math, but I did it! I am really gratified in how I have learned to alter sweater patterns to FIT, a skill I really believe I've mastered in the past year. After all, isn't this what knitting your own garments is all about? I am really going to enjoy this sweater, I think.

Another skill I'm still working on mastering--and doing better--is finishing. My mom had made the Easy Basket-weave Cardigan from the January issue of Creative Knitting in a soft acrylic, and she asked me to put it together for her. Although I'm not fond of acrylic, it was somewhat easy to manage for sewing together. I had a bit of struggle with the set-in sleeves, but otherwise, I did a pretty good finishing job, if I do say so myself. I think I am getting to that next level, which feels terrific.

Next up in terms of my "main" projects: another Talia vest, this one for my daughter, in black Cascade 220. Progress and details to follow!

No comments: