Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Sunrise Circle Jacket


As mentioned in my New Year's Day post, I finished my Sunrise Circle Jacket. Yesterday, the buttons I had ordered from Etsy Shop Muddy Muse arrived and they are a fantastic match. It was quite a challenging positioning the oblong buttons on the curved edge of the sweater (the pattern calls for toggles, which might have worked better, but I like the look of these buttons). After several attempts, I got it right and I'm very pleased wiht the result. I also did a YouTube Tutorial posted by Melissa Monday on how to crochet button loops--I would have totally done this wrong if I hadn't watched that video, and the only reason I thought of searching for a video is that a video clip of Cirilia Rose demonstrating button loops came up in my blog posts yesterday. I guess it was fate.
Anyway, after communicating with the designer of this ingenious pattern, Kate Gilbert, I decided to stick with the medium size rather than the small, and I'm glad I did. It was very difficult to determine whether this would fit because of the unusual construction (each front is knit in conjunction with a sleeve, and there is an ample hem all around the garment that really makes a difference once its sewed down). I did end up having to shorten the sleeves from the bottom a bit after knitting, and I may have removed a touch too much, but being a short person with short arms, one of my favorite things about knitting for myself is being able to custom-fit my sleeves, so I prefer them this length.
All in all, I'm very pleased with this pattern and it was a lot of fun to knit, even if the uncertainty of the size was a bit unsettling.
I wore it to work and was immediately complimented by my knitting co-worker. Priceless!

No comments: