As we in New Jersey and elsewhere on the East Coast await Hurricane Irene, I finished the first of my Cauchy socks for my http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifhusbahttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifnd. It was a bit challenging figuring out how to modify the pattern as the yarn is very skinny--about 9 stitches/inch, which is smaller than I'm used to for socks and different from the pattern's gauge. I finished sock #1 this morning and it fits its intended wearer, but does need to be stretched slightly for a perfect fit on the foot.
I'll start Sock #2 right away to prevent second sock syndrome, but will then cast on another earflap hat for one of my daughter's friends--the first of many as "my girls" head off to colleges around the country. I've become an expert at determining college colors from the Web--many actually have a page with their official Pantone colors. This first hat will probably be finished on our 8+ hour drive to take our daughter to school in a few days. I hope the rhythm of the stitches will keep me calm as I prepare to separate from my wonderful daughter!