Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A Worthwhile Stashbusting Effort!

I saw this information on Cara's wonderful blog, January One. She is going to be participating in this effort to knit FunFur hats for kids with cancer, spearheaded by Kate. She is collecting the hats for 10-16 year old kids at Boston Children's Hospital who are undergoing radiation and chemotherapy for cancer and other life-threatening illnesses. The kids specifically want FunFur hats. Kate is coordinating everything--here's what you need to do:

The Rules, according to Kate:

1. you email me with your name, email, snail mail and blog ( if you have one)
kskaare (At) gmail (Dot) com
2. I email you with a Word document with several hat types.
3. you knit a few. I knit a few. You tell your SnB to knit a few. If they arrive in a box from you, you get in the prize drawing-- more hats, more chances.
4. You must have the hats TO ME in Boston by February 28, 2007. (these hats are not rocket science, they are easy, they are on big needles... one takes about 1 hour to knit)
5. I put your name in the contests... PC pulls names, Pumpkin announces winners via this blog and emails....


If you go to Kate's blog, you'll see that the list of prizes people have donated for those who send hats continues to grow. These are great, generous, desirable prizes for knitters. For me, when I saw this, I knew I had to participate because:
1)This contest fulfills my desire to do more charity knitting this year (having just sent in my two Red Scarves)
2)I have some FunFur and other similar yarn, leftover from my brief period of FunFur scarf mania. I stare at this yarn often, wondering what the heck to do with it. Now it has found a wonderful home!

Kate sent me the patterns as soon as I emailed her, and I have already cast on for a black FunFur hat, and have enough of this type of yarn to do 3-4 hats, I think. Go for it!

No comments: