Saturday, January 12, 2008

Swatching


Before I discuss swatching, I wanted to show some pictures of my finished Retro Redux Shrug. I blocked this rather aggressively because I'm just not wild about a shrug hitting me in the middle of my back and I couldn't figure out how to best adjust the pattern to make it longer. This piece definitely benefited from blocking and I like how it looks--I just hope I wear it. Perhaps with warmer weather and a tank top or body suit; it does look cute in the pictures, right?

The good news is that my 15-year-old daughter likes it, and she is very fashion conscious and particular about hand-knit items, so if she wears it, I'll be thrilled.

Now, on to my next project, Lizzy, from Naturally Noro. I was a good knitter and made a formal 4-inch swatch, which I THOUGHT was giving me 4.5 stitches/inch (18 stitches to a 4-inch square). Once I started knitting, and upon further scrutiny of my swatch, it looks like I'm getting more like 19 stitches/4 inches. This may not sound like a lot, but the sweater has no ribbing--just straight stockinette--so I am concerned that with the difference, and comments I've read on Ravelry about having to add waist shaping to make this sweater fit properly, I am going to do a swatch with #7's and see if that's better. I've only knit 6 rows so far, so no harm done if I have to start over--it will be well worth it to have a properly fitting sweater.

So far, I'm loving the Noro Silk Garden(my first time working with this highly popular yarn!). I really like color changes and this even has some texture (thicker/thinner) changes, so even though it's straight stockinette, I think it will be fun to knit. More to come after my next swatch.

No comments: