Sunday, February 20, 2011

My Masterpiece!


I finished my son's argyle vest! This was definitely one of the most challenging projects I've completed, and one through which I've learned a great deal. I learned intarsia, duplicate stitch, and how to modify a pattern that includes a chart. I feel like my seaming/finishing skills also continue to improve with each project I make. I actually thought about paying a yarn shop to do the finishing on the vest, but it turned out to be very easy and enjoyable--the short-rows and three-needle bind-off for the shoulders worked beautifully, the picking up stitches for the V-neck was great (I used my terrific new book, Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book for that), and the mattress stitch seams look very good. I loved the KnitPicks Palette (which is a good thing, as I have almost 3 skeins of each color left!!), and I'm looking forward to making something with that, perhaps more colorwork.
Now I'm moving on to finish up a bunch of small WIP's and work on my On-Hold Socks before starting my next "major" project. I've already finished my Linoleum Dishcloth and will start another as "purse/train knitting." Also cleaned up my notions bag within my larger knitting bag; am thinking of getting another Della Q tote and two small Della zip bags for easier organization of tools. We'll see.
I went to our Borders, which is one of the casualties of the chain's bankruptcy, over the weekend, looking for knitting book bargains. All books were 20% off, which isn't as big of a discount as can be had online, so I didn't buy anything. Considering that I am in the midst of reading the 5-6 knitting books I bought around the holidays, it's probably a blessing in disguise. I did, however, have a 55% off coupon for A.C. Moore, which is in the same shopping center, so I rewarded myself with Nicky Epstein's Knitting on the Edge, now in paperback, instead. I've wanted that book for a long time and look forward to getting creative with my edgings.

No comments: